A question that is often asked by many people is, “What is Ayurveda?”
Here’s an easy answer for you that will put the basic things of this practice into perspective: Ayurveda is a 5000-year-old method revolving around traditional science, which was and is still used to bring back one’s body into balance and heal it from ailments.
However, this word is steeped so deep into “Vedic science” also known as “yoga” that encompasses your mental, physical and spiritual potential. Ayurveda helps you maintain your health and is the life key that determines how you eat, exercise, sleep and go about your day. Ayurveda comprises three “Doshas”, which include air, fire and water. They are connected to the primary elements ether and earth, and are a part of your physical, as well as emotional life. This technique can be practiced through different ways such as in the form of herbs, by diet, lifestyle and exercise, lymph, skin and digestion.
Benefits of Ayurveda
1. Reduces Stress
Ayurvedic breathing exercises such as used during Pranayama, meditation and yoga, along with herbal treatments can help reduce anxiety and stress. Both improve your autonomic nervous functions, which reduce sympathetic activity, also known as the flight or fight response.
2. Hormonal Balance
You can incorporate herbs into your diet to prevent those cramps that hit during menstruation. These herbs help remove digestive impurities that cause problems during your menstruation cycle.
3. Help Cure Insomnia
There many things you do before bedtime that contribute to insomnia such as watching TV, eating a late night dinner, eating spicy food and more. All these exacerbate your nervous system and induce restless sleep. A massage or a light cup of tea can help you control insomnia. Before going to bed, rub some coconut oil or sesame oil on the soles of your feet. Drink a cup of chamomile tea or a glass of almond milk, and you will note a positive change in your sleeping pattern.
4. Weight Loss
Since you are following a certain path in your diet, it’s natural to experience some weight loss. It might not be rapid but you might lose some weight. There are many ayurvedic herbs that help with weight loss but one that is quite helpful is called “Triphala”. It’s a blend of 3 fruits: Bibhitaka, Amla and Haritaki. This herb helps improve lean body mass, detoxifies the body, eliminates fluid retention and lowers the excessive sugar level in blood.
Another is Vrikshamla also known as “Malabar Tamarind”. It resembles a very small pumpkin and is green in color. The fruit is full of Hydroxycitric acid and is known as the most wanted herb for weight loss. It modifies the genes’ functioning that is related to the body’s fat synthesis. This prevents accumulation of fat and promotes weight loss.
5. Glowing and Healthy Skin
When Ayurveda treats you physically, you will see a radiant change on your face. This practice calls for a healthy diet and yoga that keep your muscles and joints toned. Through sweat, toxins are expelled from your body and when you consume high amount of Omega-3 fatty acids; the risk of inflammation is lowered, which improves skin condition.
Tips to Live Ayurveda
- Go for a leisure walk with your friend. Talk on light topics and relieve your body of stress. This will nourish your senses and calm the mind
- Have a fresh lunch. Packaged food items are harder to digest, which is what creates toxins in your body
- Before going to bed, add a pinch of cardamom in organic milk and drink slowly. Cardamom has excellent digestive properties and helps reduce intestinal gas and bloating
- To increase positive energy, practice transcendental meditation by closing your eyes and repeating your favorite mantra or listening to one online
- Reduce the coffee mug and go for any kind of herbal tea to increase your productivity
- Massage your body with warm herbalized oil. This will not only keep your skin hydrate for a long time but will also soothe the skin
- Practice mindful breathing. This will help you keep your calm during stressful times
An ancient practice such as Ayurveda includes thousands of different ways you can incorporate into your daily life and every moment. It’s the simplest of ways you can try to get yourself physically and mentally balanced. So, wake up with the sun and try these tips to experience the change in yourself.